Owl Image

Have shortness of breath. EKG showed long pauses and double beats. Any ideas?

Cardiologist
Question
I have shortness of breath, heart is beating strangely. EKG shows long pauses and double beats etc...blood work all normal, chest xray normal, but still feel terrible? Thyroid test normal also.

Any ideas what else to investigate...virus???
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 12 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
What you are suggestive in EKG is arrhythmia with description it is not possible to point the name. With cardiac arrhythmia and shortness of breath points towards abnormal function of heart. Therefore, you need to consult a cardiologist. Who after through examination would recommend investigations like echocardiography Doppler examination and perhaps an Holter (24 hour EKG recording) before instituting a proper therapy. If for cancer of appendix if you were treated with chemotherapy all this could be side effects of that but that is a guess. With sleep apnoea cardiac dysfunction and arrhythmia is known to occur.

Second important is how soon should you seek medical help. If you have a situation where our sleep over last few days has been interrupted by air hunger and if you feel better in sitting position as compared to lying down condition. Then it is an emergency and I would urge you to seek help from medical specialist in ER. If you are breathless only on exertion your regular doctor appointment for this week will suffice and you plan to seek cardiac help at the earliest next week. Good Luck.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover