Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have short foreskin. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14968 Questions
Hi,Iam a fit,healthy 56yo,and Iam on no medications.I have always had a short foreskin,and for a couple of months now it has been going back over my glans for which seem longer periods of time.I used to pull it forward again but most of the time now I dont notice it.It feels comfortable now when I leave it back,and have been sleeping this way now for the last couple of weeks.Can I just leave it back all the time,also at 56 Iam not bothered about looks etc,just want to know if its safe please.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The only risk would be paraphimosis. This is a condition where the foreskin becomes trapped behind the glans. It is uncommon but can occur if the foreskin is left retracted for long periods of time.
It is more likely to occur in men with a history of infection of penis or those with poor penile hygiene.
It would normally present with painful swollen glans and is treated by manual reduction.

Because , it may occur if the foreskin is left retracted for long periods, it would be best to avoid doing this for an entire night.
You may want to consider circumcision which is a safe procedure.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor