Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Have shin splints. Any thing besides tape them up and ice?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I have shin splints is their any thing to do for them besides tape them up and ice?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Shin splints can be treated by self care steps.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Shin splints or Medial tibial stress syndrome can be effectively treated by few self care measures as mentioned below -

- Rest : Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort — but don't give up all physical activity. While you're healing, try low-impact exercises, such as swimming, bicycling or water running. If your shin pain causes you to limp, consider using crutches until you can walk normally without pain.

- Ice the affected area : Apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four to eight times a day for several days. To protect your skin, wrap the ice packs in a thin towel.

- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever : Try ibuprofen, naproxen sodium or acetaminophen to reduce pain.

- Reduce swelling : Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night. It may also help to compress the area with an elastic bandage or compression sleeve.

- Consider arch supports : Arch supports can help cushion and disperse stress on your shinbones.

- Wear proper shoes: You should select a shoe that's especially suited for your foot type, your stride and your particular sport.

Resume your usual activities gradually. Don't ever try to "run through the pain" as it may may worsen the injury and make the pain more intense and longer lasting.
If your shin isn't completely healed, returning to your usual activities may only cause continued pain.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor