Have sharp burning sensation in vagina after swimming. What is the treatment?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: hi there, i have taken up swimming for exercise and have now ended up with a sharp burning sensation in my vagina that was so bad last night it kept me up. i take off my swimming costume immediately after swimming so i am not in the wet nylon. could the chlorine be the cause and how do i treat it as i do not have time to get to a doctor today but i can get to a pharmacy?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sitz bath, analgesics Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The possible causes for your problem are : - Allergy to chlorine as you said. -Infection due to some contamination of the water. -Because of excessive strain or due to temperature alterations of the water, muscle spasm can occur. Better to consult gynecologist once and get examined to find out the exact cause and take treatment accordingly. If at present you are not having access to doctor, you can take sitz bath with XXXXXXX warm water and adding little bit of disinfect in it. And over the counter analgesics like paracetamol ( acetaminophen ) can give some relief. Then consult gynecologist as early as possible. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 minutes later
thanks so much, what sort of disinfect could i use and is there any cream i can try? i applied canesten last night but it seemed to make it worse. is that possible? is there any cream i can put on before i go swimming in the meantime before i get to a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: diluted disinfect like dettol etc Detailed Answer: Hi, During sitz bath you can use mild disinfectants like dettol etc. One to two caps full in one tub of XXXXXXX warm water. Taking sitz bath twice a day can give some relief. It is not good to take medicines with out getting examined. Because using wrong drug may aggravate the symptoms. If it takes time to consult gynecologist, better to use gel preparations like plain xylocaine jelly or candid gel etc instead of creams, that may give some soothing effect. Take care.