Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge. STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge

Please tell me what this is on my vaginal area.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 43 minutes later

thanks for your health concerns. there are a couple of shallow ulcers in the external labia that raise concerns for a sexually transmitted disease such as herpes simplex; there is also a whitish, fluid vaginal discharge that may or not be normal depending in your usual state; the best course of action would be to see a provider who can do a full pelvic exam looking with a speculum into the vaginal canal and cervix to see if there are extra clues and obtain samples for microbiology analysis

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have shallow ulcers on external labia and white vaginal discharge. STD? 29 minutes later
I was told before that it could be a furuncle. Is that a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 hours later

A furuncle is a small abcess at the level of the skin, usually painful; it is usually a bacterial infection. It would be for sure in the differential diagnosis. The best way to tell the difference other than direct examination would be a scrapping for culture (viral and bacterial) of the deep surface of the lesion.

Best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor