Have severe white vaginal discharge with itching. Any effective medicine?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: hello ,
i am 45 yrs old woman and have a severe white vaginal discharge with itching.
i have taken an oral tablet fluconazole 150mg.i want to know if it is the right medicine.also is candid creme good enough for local application to stop itching and discharge.
thanks.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 39 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the treatment of the white discharge depends on the character of discharge. A curd like discharge without any smell indicates candida infection. It is a fungal infection. The other symptoms are extreme itching as you described.

Now, treatment. The single dose of fluconazole is necessary to treat a candida infection. But only this single dose is not enough. You should apply the candid ointment intravaginally with the help of the inserter once daily for 7 days. It is enough. Along with this, you should take doxycycline group of antibiotics for 7 days.

One most important point is, treatment with these drugs will not reduce the itching immediately. To stop itching immediately, you should take cetirizine 10 mg before bed for 5 to 6 days.

Another point is to avoid oral contraceptive pills which are most common predisposing factor. Use condom during sexual activity temporarily.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.