Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have severe throbbing pain under and around my collar bone. Related to muscle or infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have severe throbbing pain under and around my left collar bone. As the pain worsens, it travels down my left arm and even into my wrist. I have not injured myself to my knowledge. For whatever reason the pain seems to get worse throughout the day, evenings being worst. I have full range of motion in my arm/shoulder and movement does not seem to increase or decrease the pain at all. I have no idea where to start with a doctor! Is it muscle-related? Infection? Heart? Any suggestions would be helpful. I do have an ultrasound scheduled on Monday after seeing my gynecologist but I have no idea if I'm even headed the right direction with that! Help!
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 26 minutes later
thanks for your questions. The fact that the pain is stable throughout indicates something inflammatory.
The best exams first to do is a chest X XXXXXXX Results from this confronted with results of an erythrocyte sedimentation rate, a measure of degree of inflammation, a C reactive protein and a CT scan might necessary to determine the exact cause of the pain.
Its after this general screen that other examinations or direction to specific specialties could be done. Meeting your family physician first for a proper examination and undertaking these exams first, on its own could be appropriate. Based on the results, orientation towards a specific specialist, if need be, would then be done.
Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you just the best. Do not hesitate asking further questions if you deem necessary.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor