Have severe pain in legs and hip osteoarthritis. Taking cymbalta for fibromyalgia. What is the cure?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Arthritis
Question: I have severe left hip ostoarthritis. I have severe pain (sharp..scale of 12) in both calves of my legs. I also have sharp pain in the lower back joint right above the buttocks. What are my options and what can I do. I also have fibromyalgia and was on cymbalta and it did not help. I just one big mess.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: You might need hip replacement surgery. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. If hip osteoarthritis is in later stage and there is too much pain and not managed by conservative measures, you might need hip replacement surgery. Low backache radiating to both lower limbs could be due to degenerative changes in spine causing compression over nerve roots. For this physiotherapy will be helpful. You can go for epidural injection in back to relieve the pain and radiating symptoms. Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns. Regards.