Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have severe pain and limited motion in arm after an injury. How to overcome this problem?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10519 Questions
my ex husband slammed my arm into a wall a couple years back and since then i have had limited movement in my arm, if i do things like reach back to put on my seatbelt, or reach to turn off a table lamp, i endure so much pain i want to cry. I can't lift much without pain and the upper arm is also sore. I hoped it would get better over time as I did not have any insurance until i changed jobs just recently. Not sure where to go with this now that i have insurance...xrays or what?
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The persistent pain in your upper arm is likely to be related to a ligament tear. You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical arthroscopic technique

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe pain and limited motion in arm after an injury. How to overcome this problem? 3 hours later
Would it be ok to use a heating pad in the meantime to help ease the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can use a heating pad to decrease the pain. Taking a mild pan killer will also help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor