Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have severe flat foot condition. Facing severe ankle pain and walking difficulty. Looking for relief

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
I have severe flat foot Condition. My left feet muscle is dislocated at the ankle because severe flag foot condition. I cannot stand for more than 2 minutes, as my legs start paining very badly. My age is 32 years. I am a female. I weigh 72 kgs. I almost limp while walking. Also, I cannot walk a very long distance, as my both feet start paining very badly. Because these reasons my husband does not like me and we are separated from the last 3 months. He and his family is not happy with my flat foot condition. I want my husband and my married life back. But, because of severe ankle pain I am unable to-do anything and keep lying on the bed. I am very sad and lonely now. This has put me into mental depression. I resigned my job as I was unable to work with this leg pain. Kindly advice.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 13 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Madam I deeply empathasize with you.
About 20% of adults have flat feet. A small subset of the population suffers from hereditary flat foot, but most of it is developed.

Pain in the foot that is caused by flat feet may be alleviated if the patient wears supportive well-fitted shoes. Some patients say that symptoms improve with extra-wide fitting shoes.

Fitted insoles or orthotics (custom-designed arch supports) may relieve pressure from the arch and reduce pain if the patient's feet roll or over-pronate. The benefits of an orthotic only exist while it is being worn.

Patients with tendonitis of the posterior tibial tendon may benefit if a wedge is inserted along the inside edge of the orthotic - this takes some of the load off the tendon tissue.

Wearing an ankle brace may help patients with posterior tibial tendinitis, until the inflammation comes down.

Rest - doctors may advise some patients to rest and avoid activities which may make the foot (feet) feel worse, until the foot (feet) feels better.

A combination of an insole and some kind of painkiller may help patients with a ruptured tendon, as well as those with arthritis.

Patients with a ruptured tendon or arthritis who find insoles with painkillers ineffective may require surgical intervention.

Patients, usually children, whose bones did not or are not developing properly, resulting in flat feet from birth, may require surgical intervention to separate fused bones (rare).

Bodyweight management - if the patient is obese the doctor may advise him/her to lose weight. A significant number of obese patients with flat feet who successfully lose weight experience considerable improvement of symptoms.

Please consult a good orthpedic surgeon who specialises in this field.
As for your family issues,please sit down together and consult a family counsellor to sort out your issues.

If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe flat foot condition. Facing severe ankle pain and walking difficulty. Looking for relief 18 minutes later
Will I require to undergo a surgery to get rid of this pain permanently? Approx. how much will the surgery cost?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 minute later
This answer will be given by your orthopedic surgeon depending on the severity of your diseases.
Prices vary from place to place.
The consulting surgeon and the hospital will tell you about the charges.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sports Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor