Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What could be the cause?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I get severe facial flushing. I have rosacea but I am also going thru menopause. Can the flushing be a combination of both?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Menopausal symptoms can trigger Rosacea. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for the query. Rosacea is a condition characterized by redness & sometimes pimples at the central face area aggravated by exposure to triggering things some of them being, exposure to heat &Psychological stress. This can be seen at any age .remains there, in more or less form unless taken care of. While hot flashes in menopausal age are pertaining to the hormonal changes in body at the particular stage of life. It is a feeling of intense heat, sweating and heart beats. Typically starts from face. May include chest, neck, back also& the wave of hotness may spread through out the body .It completely vanishes by 2 to 30 minutes. You are going through menopause. The disturbed psychology & emotional stress along with hot flushes increasing the XXXXXXX body heat can definitely instigate Resaca. I hope the answer satisfies you. I will be happy to help for your further query, if any. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E