Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Have severe diarrhea and feeling of nausea. Took anti-diarrhea medicine. Food poisoning?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
Last night around 1:00 am I developed a case of fairly severe diarrhea and feeling of nausea. I spend about 2 hours in the bathroom until the anti-diarrhea med took affect. I did have a hamburger from a fast food place for supper. I wonder about food poisoning. I have not idea if this is related but earlier in the even I developed an several spots of iching rash I though were insect bites. I have red spots about an inch around, several under the arm and left shoulder blade. I am not feeling well this morning at all. I will 82 this month
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Food poisoning is high possibility

Detailed Answer:

Staph and Bacillus species are the organisms which cause food poisoning via hamburger. You need to be extremely careful at this age. They can lead to unnecessary complications if the diarrhoea persists. At times it can lead to organ damage in an noticed time. The red spots could be a stressful reaction to the body. The other reason for spots could be medication as well. Platelets count are needed, they may drop because of infection, may be sudden in an elder person like you.

If you continue to feel unwell you seem to have lost a lot of fluids from the body. If no one stays with your at home I advise you to reach any urgent clinic or ER.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe diarrhea and feeling of nausea. Took anti-diarrhea medicine. Food poisoning? 11 minutes later
Thank you for your response, Just now this morning I have started throwing up. Maybe what ever bug I have will get out of me. Very unpleasant way... Earlier I did drink some water to keep hydrated. For the past three months I have nothing but doctor appointments and tests and I am really growing tired of it, but maybe I had better call my primary care doctor??
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Call primary physician

Detailed Answer:
Yes you should call the primary care doctor. Keeping hydrated is the best idea at home, as long as the hydration is kept the worst complications are avoided.

Hope you get better soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor