Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have severe curvature of spine. Curvature causing oesophagus and breathing problems. Any recommendation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions
My wife has very severe curvature of spine... 82 years old. Under Pain Management- oxycodin and gabapentin. #1. Curvature is causing swallowing, esophagus problems, and breathing. Not to severe yet. Any recommendations for exercises etc.? thanks,XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Looks like your wife is suffering from severe kyphosis. There is not much one can do through exercise as it is causing severe respiratory compromise. She will require to undergo surgery to straighten her back. Please seek help from a good orthopedician.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish her good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe curvature of spine. Curvature causing oesophagus and breathing problems. Any recommendation? 29 minutes later
No way is she going to get surgery...82 years old. You are kidding. I am very disappointed.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later

Thanks for the reply

I understand that she is 82 years old. I am sorry if I came out wrong but what I was trying to tell was,a suggestion from an orthopedican is worth while even at this age because breathing and eating has become an issue. Most of the orthopedic problem either back, knee or hip are seen mostly in the elderly. Spinal surgeries are minimally invasive these days and give great results.

Strenuous stretching exercises are relatively contraindicated in her because she might become breathless during the exercise.

One good drug at this point would be muscle relaxants like baclofen which can be taken in small doses to help her with the pain and also to some extent straighten her back. Please ask your doctor for a prescription

I hope I have clarified myself, please get back to me if you have any further queries I will be happy to reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor