Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Have severe chest pain. Suffer from pleurisy. Have itching on tongue and palms. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 554 Questions
I have had severe chest pain on the left side when breathing for months.I have suffered from pleurisy many times and it has never felt this bad. It feels like my left lung and breathing became difficult so I was put on steroids that are not helping much. I can breathe better but the pain is just as bad. I have had scapular pain (left) for a year. I have major itching every night for two weeks even my tongue and palms of my hands. I take Benedryl to get through it. What tests should I ask for? I had a chest X-ray and will review it Monday.
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 3 hours later
Thanks for your query,
Pleuritic chest pain usually is sharp severe with catches on maneuvers like deep inhalation, coughing, sneezing etc. Usually it signifies infection.
For rheumatic pleuritis, patients are usually male, it precedes the arthritis, commonly found in sero-positive disease and it readily responds to steroid. So your doctor are right in questioning the diagnosis.
At this juncture, if your chest x-rays shows evidence of fluid, get it aspirated under ultrasound guidance and subject it to routine microscopy, biochemical examination, ADA, gram's stain, AFB stain, culture, amylase. If your x-ray do not show any evidence of fluid you can go direct for ultrasound chest or else CT scan chest.
In the meantime you can take some analgesiscs like paracetamol or ibuprofen along with antibiotics like cefixime and azithromycin.
Since the pain is on left side, it will be better to go for electrocardiography (ECG), just to rule out anginal pain, though seems less likely.

Thanks and Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe chest pain. Suffer from pleurisy. Have itching on tongue and palms. What should I do? 8 minutes later
I appreciate the input. I also have bed soaking night sweats and significant breast pain in my left breast. That has been going on for six months or more intermittently. My family has a long history of cancer, in fact my daughter has it. I watched her diagnosis be put off for almost a year, and I have fear that Something is being missed. Should I be that concerned? Every generation of my family for as far as we know on both sides has had cancer.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 13 minutes later
Thanks for follow up,
With a family history of breast cancer, it becomes mandatory to go for self breast examination. And if any sort of lump in breast or axilla is detected, doctor must be consulted. To rule out, at this time, you may go for mammography of your both breast, which is easily available with the radiologists.
Bed soaking night sweats can be due to any chronic disease, most commonly tuberculosis, which can be diagnosed on x-ray and pleural fluid examination as stated before.
If fluid is detected on x-ray and aspirated, get it sent for malignant cytology also.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have severe chest pain. Suffer from pleurisy. Have itching on tongue and palms. What should I do? 23 minutes later
Thank-you for your input.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 minutes later
Thanks and good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor