Have severe burning sensation in middle of the chest with mild discomfort in lower abdomen. Reason for symptoms?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I was woken up at 01.30 with severe burning sensation in middle of chest. This stopped after a few min but now my left arm is numb. I was sleeping on my left side most of the night. I have also had mild discomfort and pain in lower left abdomen for last three days. Numbness seems more in hand and lower arm. Also been feeling tired lately.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 45 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You MUST GO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT – IMMEDIATELY. You should have an ECG and enzymes (cardiac markers) done to exclude heart attack. The possibility of your pain from the heart can not be excluded. Generally, it is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. Any pain at this age should be investigated as HEART PAIN – UNLESS PROVED OTHERWISE – especially so when there are risk factors. Overweight and smoking are two avoidable risk factors for heart attack. It is also sad to see somebody with asthma smoking.

In suspected heart attack, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

In the setting of asthma, left chest symptoms could also mean infection or inflammation of left lung or its covering (Pleura).
     Left lower abdominal pain is likely to be unrelated to this – bladder and ureter, bowel (sigmojd colon), ovary and tubes (uterus) need attention, assessment.

You MUST GO THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT - IMMEDIATELY
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise

Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck