Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have severe bowel pain. Noticed puss coming from bowel. Had two colonoscopies normal. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have severe bowel pain for almost two years now. I have recently noticed puss coming from my bowel. This has been happening for quite some time. I originally thought the puss was vaginal discharge, but it is definately coming from the bowel. I have had two colonoscopies, found nothing but that was app. a year ago. I have also been tested for Porphyria.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do perfectly understand you are actually worried at this point in time, which of course is justified. However, I believe there are still a lot of options that can be exploited to drastically improve on your health condition.

The very first thing is having a specialist physician consultation to confirm the origin, and define the actual trajectory of the pus. If its from the bowel, a proctologist/or general surgeon would be better placed to do this. There are simple tests added to a properly done physical examination to have a correct and exact diagnosis. A fistulography shall be very appropriate added to endoscopy under these circumstances.

A proper collection of the pus, so it be sent for a culture and sensitivity tests is also very appropriate. Possible causes could be a fistula, perianal abscess or chronic inflammatory bowel disease.

I suggest you book an appointment with a proctologist or general surgeon for a proper evaluation. An exact diagnosis will facilitate treatment. Do not hesitate asking further precise questions if need be.

Wishing you good health. Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor