Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Have severe bacterial vaginosis. What treatment is required?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
I'm supposed to go to a gynecologist soon for severe BV, and frankly I want to fight everyone involved in this. I'm 18 and not sexually active. I've never been raped, abused, assaulted, anything like that... I just hate being touched. I get claustrophobic and can't breathe. I have also had horrible experiences with doctors. 9/10 doctors I've seen have been completely incompetent, and several have abused their position of power over me. I'm to a point where I'm completely iatrophobic. So tell me WHY on earth I would willingly put myself in that situation. Especially with a gynecologist. Why should I let one near me? I don't know that they're not going to hurt me. YOU don't know that either. I haven't eaten in three days. Why should I allow someone else to have that much power over me? I don't even care about the health risks. If I die, I die.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

In part of diagnosing the underlying problem, doctors might have examined you.
But the patient is having every right to refuse the physical examination if she doesn't want.
Usually doctors will not do per-vaginal examination to a virgin girl. If needed they can just do a local examination to find out the characteristics of the white discharge.
So this time when you consult a gynecologist, if you don't want to get examined you can tell it to her.
You can explain your symptoms, in case of presence of white discharge you can describe that like the color, quantity, associated itching, smell etc.
According to this possibly your doctor can give treatment to you.
You can follow general measures like:
-Avoid harsh soaps, detergents, deodorant sprays.
-Avoid using disinfectants to clean genital organs.
-Prefer cotton inner wear.
-Take plenty of water, nutritious diet.
-Avoid excess use of antibiotics.
These measures can help to some extent in relieving the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor