Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have several painful bumps around my anus. What could be these?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10272 Questions
Hi, I have several bumps around my anus. Sometimes they are painful. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different possibilities. These include follicultis, anal tags, warts, herpes.
Follliculitis refers to inflammation of the hair follicles. The area around the anus has hair follicles like the rest of the body and these can become inflammed presenting with painful lesions, in most cases they resolve on their own. Some person find that the use of over the counter bacterial washes , the use of topical antibiotic cream is all that is necessary.

Anal tags are basically remnants of external hemorrhoids that are found in persons with a previous history of hemorrhoids.

Herpes can also present with painful lesions in the anal or genital area. Because herpes is not cured and remains in the system,it can reoccur at any point and then the acute infection would resolve. Medication is given to suppress recurrence in cases where it happens frequently.

The only way to determine exactly which lesions are involved would be to be examined by your doctor, if possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have several painful bumps around my anus. What could be these? 22 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Gibson-James. You put my mind at ease. I will be seeing my regular dr. for a physical in a couple months. It can wait till then.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Ok, If you have any other problems feel free to contact
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor