Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have sensitivity on labia minora. Have sore like pimples on labia majora. Suggest?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5973 Questions
Hello. Tonight when I went to wipe myself after going to the restroom I noticed a sensitivity on my labia minora. When I looked and touched down there it feels as though there is a lump that is sore like a pimple on the right side of my labia majora. I am going for a doctor's appointment tomorrow but wanted to get an opinion tonight as I am worried.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
What you have sounds like a small boil.
This could be a small infected hair follicle.
If you shave / depilate yourself down there, it could be due to the friction.
A boil could be in response to allergy to a local substance - fabric, panty liners, tampons, medicated soaps or shampoos, tissue paper etc.
It is basically a small collection of fluid and a little pus, that is what a boil is.
As it is sore, that is why I am considering the first possibility of a boil.
Another possibility could be a small ingrown hair follicle.
A small vaginal cyst also could present itself in this way.
Just to be on the safer side, I hope you have had a thorough STI screening.
If not, please get it done tomorrow.
A picture of the lesion would help me provide you a better diagnosis, if you could upload one.
Even otherwise, do not worry, as most such boils / pimples go away on their own.
Just ensure that you do not handle the area with your bare hands.
Avoid touching / rubbing / lancing it.
Do not overly clean or vigorously douche the area.
Wear soft cotton undergarments, and change them often to keep the area clean and dry.
Do not use perfumed or medicated strong soaps or cleansers or lotions.
As it is not painful to you, do not use anything till you visit the doctor and have a diagnosis in hand.
At the most, a topical antibacterial ointment might be applied, or you might sprinkle some dry Neosporin powder onto your panties to keep the area dry.
Nothing more needs to be done right away.
Take care, and please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor