Have sebaceous cyst on scalp. Advised for removal. Any recommendations?

Dr. Gaurav Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 17 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a large sebaceous cyst on the scalp. It is soft and mobile. This has been there for several years now. i have consulted some surgeons who have recommended removal of the same. However i have not been able to decide on removal as i am concerned about bleeding and infection and whether infection could get penetrate. Is it safer to remove it by a surgeon specialised in scalp surgeries if there are any? If there be any recommendations of the hospital/surgeon. I am based in Bangalore.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Patel 20 hours later
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic forum.

I understand your concern regarding sebaceous cyst.

Sebaceous cyst generally does not require any medical treatment. Following are the reasons for its removal,
- Pain
- Sudden increase in size or continue to grow.
- Infection (it become red, painful and hot)
- create pressure symptoms
- Cosmetic purpose

Sebaceous cyst excision is simple minor surgical procedure. General surgeon can do it under local anaesthesia. If proper aseptic precautions are taken during, there is very less chance of any complication or infection. There is no chance of bleeding as sutures are taken after removal. It is superficial cyst only and removed by general surgeon. There is no separate specialization.

You can consult in Apollo hospital in Bangalore. Personally I do not know any surgeon in Bangalore. You can also check the reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I answer your question.
Let me know if you have any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan