Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Have sebaceous cyst on scalp. Advised for removal. Any recommendations?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2836 Questions
i have a large sebaceous cyst on the scalp. It is soft and mobile. This has been there for several years now. i have consulted some surgeons who have recommended removal of the same. However i have not been able to decide on removal as i am concerned about bleeding and infection and whether infection could get penetrate. Is it safer to remove it by a surgeon specialised in scalp surgeries if there are any? If there be any recommendations of the hospital/surgeon. I am based in Bangalore.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Patel 20 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic forum.

I understand your concern regarding sebaceous cyst.

Sebaceous cyst generally does not require any medical treatment. Following are the reasons for its removal,
- Pain
- Sudden increase in size or continue to grow.
- Infection (it become red, painful and hot)
- create pressure symptoms
- Cosmetic purpose

Sebaceous cyst excision is simple minor surgical procedure. General surgeon can do it under local anaesthesia. If proper aseptic precautions are taken during, there is very less chance of any complication or infection. There is no chance of bleeding as sutures are taken after removal. It is superficial cyst only and removed by general surgeon. There is no separate specialization.

You can consult in Apollo hospital in Bangalore. Personally I do not know any surgeon in Bangalore. You can also check the reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I answer your question.
Let me know if you have any further query.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor