Owl Image

Have runny nose, sore throat and itchy red rashes all over body. How to get relief?

Pediatrician
Question
my daughter is 25 with no health problems. She has just had a cold/ flu-like virus with all the usual symptoms of runny nose, sore throat etc. She recovered after a few days, but for the last 10 days has suffered from all over body itching incliding her palms and soles of feet. There is a very faint red 'prickly' rash but nothing obvious. The itching is constatn and avarious creams etc have only limited effect. Anti histamines don't work. It's not an allergy as she has lived in this house all her life and not eaten anything unusual, It's drivng her mad and interrupts sleep etc with constant scratching. Any ideas what this might be, how long it might go on or what we can do to releive the symptoms? Thank you
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It is very common to have a rash following a viral long. You mentioned that the itching partially gets relieved with various creams and anti-histamines do not have any effect. I will be inclined to rule out scabies and suggest that you consult a dermatologist who will examine your daughter and guide your appropriately.

Since you have not mentioned the antihistamines that your daughter has been given I can suggest her to have promethazine tab. three times a day which should give her some relief in her itching.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early relieft from the rash and itching.

RKK