Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Have runny nose, pain in teeth and ear. Should I consult a doctor?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
I have pain in my ears kind of deep in ears. Should i see a dr. Its worse at night. Could sinus cause this. Nose has been draining due to allergies. My teeth kind of ache but not bad also.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

All these symptoms suggest that you might be suffering from Eustachian tube dysfunction.

There is a connecting tract (known as Eustachian tube) between the nasopharynx & middle ear which helps in equalization of pressure between nasopharynx & middle ear.
Obstruction of this Eustachian tube (most commonly due to common cold or allergic rhinitis) can lead to ear pain by un-equalisation of pressure and retraction of tympanic membrane (ear drum).

During day, when a person is awake, the Eustachian tube remains open by various voluntary acts like swallowing, chewing, etc.
But when the person is sleeping at night, these voluntary acts are absent & Eustachian tube gets closed.
Hence, pain is appreciated more during night.

The management consists of:
1. Nasal decongestant drops to relieve ET tube obstruction.
2. Antihistamines to provide symptomatic relief from allergies.
3. Analgesics to take care of pain.

But these can only provide symptomatic relief.
Unless the underlying cause is removed, symptoms will keep on recurring.
So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist, get a proper physical examination done & start the treatment.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have runny nose, pain in teeth and ear. Should I consult a doctor? 37 minutes later
Thank you for explaining this so well. Its have a doc explain well. I will go see an ent. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 15 minutes later

Thanks for the appreciation.
You are most welcome.

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor