Have rheumatoid arthritis and crohns disease. Trying to lose weight after delivery. Any ideas?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi there,

I had a baby 4 months ago. For the last three months I have been working very hard to lose my baby weight with fitness programs and eating very healthy. I never had any problems losing weight before and in three months my weight has not budged. My gp performed a blood test and found that my hormones are completely out of wack! I'm not very overweight - just want to lose about 7kg. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and crohns disease and take a low dose of prednisolone (2.5mg) my blood tests showed low testosterone <0.1 and elevated shbg. Follicular pattern with elevated oestradiol and very low progesterone.

I have also been very moody as sometimes can be quite nasty. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on Monday but I wast to know how can this be corrected and how long will it take.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 23 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. Hormonal changes changes during pregnancy tend to persist for some time after delivery and these changes facilitate deposition of fat.They resolve slowly after 6-12 months. It is little difficult tolose weight during this period. Low testosterone is normal for you and there is nothing abnormal about high estrogen either during this period. For weight loss XXXXXXX a dieticien and take a low calorie diet whichcan achieve a negative balance of around 300 -400 calories/day. Burn atleast 200 cal by exercises. By doing this you will be able to lose aroud 80g os weight perday and 1kg weight in 10-12 days. Dring 2-3 litres of water per day and you can also try XXXXXXX tea 2-3 times a day. XXXXXXX tea enhances metabolism and tends to burn fat. Eat lots of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and salad. Consume atleast1 serving of citrus fruits. Its all mathematics if you succeed in getting negativr calorie balance you will definitely lose weight. Be patient for some time and ensure that your nutrition is not compromised, especially if you are breast feeding. There isnt any quickfix but with sustained efforts you will succeed. so review your diet with the dietician and discuss how needs to be changed to get negative calorie balance for you recommended calories. im sure t is a matter of time before you start losing weight.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad