Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have rheumatoid. Having pain in arms and knee. Which medicine should I take?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I only have pain with the rheumatoid. I haven't any deformaties. I am 66 years old. Just pain in my arms and knee. They want me to choose one of three medications. Remicade,Humira and Enbrel. I really do not like the side affects or what it medications could cause. The pain I have can really be tough at times. I love to work with my plants and I mow my own yard. I do not want to stop that. I do not like taking medication. I take Cymbalta for Fibromayalgia and anxiety. I also take Quetram for my stetorra (chronic diarrehea)
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune arthritis & the drug options given by your doctor are immuno-modulator (biological drugs). The drugs are prescribed to prevent the progress of disease and prevent deformities. They give more benefit than its side effects and also help to provide long period of remission.

I understand you are worried of the side effects, but there are many individuals tolerating them and doing well on the pills. Therefore, I encourage you to start one of these biological drugs after discussing with your doctor & don't wait for deformity to develop.

In addition you also might need and life style modification to overcome the disease. Follow the instructions given by your doctors and you should be fine.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have rheumatoid. Having pain in arms and knee. Which medicine should I take? 14 hours later
I need him to tell me which is the best of the three not for me to choose. I am not a doctor. He is the one that works with these medications.Also what type of lifestyle modification? Why could I not take Celebrex or Panquenal? Are they not for my type of arthritis?From what I understand from the three choices 2 are shots and the other is and IV. Also Dr. XXXXXXX I have only one kidney and the three options stress that the kidneys could be affected.
Thank you so much for your first reply and I will be looking forward to the next. I am so confused and worried about this. I believe a doctor should not make a person make the choice he should explain all to them and then tell the patient which on he would think be the best for his or her situation. Please help. God Bless
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 20 hours later

Thanks for your query again.

I can understand your anxity. You might not properly councelled by your treating doctor.

If you had mild disease, you can start with disease modifying anti rheumatoid drug(DMRD) like Hydroxychloroquine (Panquenal) alone or in combination of another DMRD.

So you can again discuss with your doctor to initiate therpy with DMRD and if it fails to control the disease activity then biological drugs.

Life style modification means you have to do regular exercise to preserve joint mobility and maintain muscle strength.Daily physical activity like walking, gardening or swimming might be beneficial if performed at moderate level, at least 10 minutes at a time accumulated to 30 minutes a day foe at least 5 days a week.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor