Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have reoccurring pus filled lump on back. On antibiotic. What could be this?

Answered by
Dr. Kruti


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 345 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Question: my friend has this reoccuring lump on her back for over 5yrs, started out as a big pimple. drains pus, heals and comes back later. she is 30yrs old. This time, its oozing foul smelling pus non-stop. there is pain that shoots down the arm and hurts like a fresh wound. The area is still hard and reddened,. she is on antibiotics. what is this?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern.

I would prefer having a look at this lump and then giving my opinion.

From your description it should either be a sebaceous cyst that its infected or it could be a furuncle, which is a bacterial infection of the skin. Both the conditions can be recurrent. The treatment would be a course of oral antibiotics.

In case you could post a picture here, it would be helpful . You have a feature to upload the image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that. Otherwise you can send the image to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as "ATTN: Dr. Kruti".

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 4 hours later
Thanks for giving me an idea to what this is about.

Now, I can't post a pic because the person involved is outside the US.
What can be done to stop this completely? What is the 100% remedy to this and what kind of doctor should she see?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

It is unfortunate that you are unable to post a picture. Nevertheless she needs to see a dermatologist.

1. If it’s a sebaceous cyst, it can be excised surgically. This will minimize the recurrence.

2. If it’s a furuncle, then it has to be investigated as to why is it recurrent. Diabetes has to be ruled out. Also the puss should be sent for examination to rule out Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus (MRSA).

Hope this helps Please let me know if I can address any other additional concerns for you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Foul smelling pus

doctor1 MD

HI, my husband has an abcess between the scrotum and rectum . he has had 3 of these over several years. I squed the area and got foul smelling pus out. I am a retired surgical rn. but I want to make sure of what I should do.

doctor1 MD

A few days ago I had squeezed what I believe a deep clogged pore on the outer part of my breast. Since I did that white stuff came out smelled bad them blood puss, then the area became harder and the large part of my breast is red not so much hot....

doctor1 MD

hello, it has been almost 10 years since i was bitten by a brown recluse, per my doctor's diagnosis at that time. Over time the spot of the bite created a small guarter of an inch raising of the skin, with a very small hole that you could see a...

doctor1 MD

I have a red pimple between my thigh and penis .. and pus comes out of it .. and pus is very smelly .. like rotten eggs or something ... can u plz help? I have acne issues and I have had cyst like pimples at the same area before also .. but they were never smelly .. and not with this type of sensitive red skin .. please help me what to do with it .. thanks.

doctor1 MD

My 8 year old child had fever and ear pain and was treated with antibiotics, after 2 months he again had ear ache and foul smelling pus in the left ear,now there is hole in the ear tympanic membrane. doc say it is unsafe type of ear infection and need surgery, i dont want to subject my child to surgery. what are the treatment option available for unsafe ear discharge ?