Have renal colic. Noticed sand like particles in urine. Getting pain and feeling nausea. Is this normal?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I was diagnosed one week ago with renal colic. And no stones were seen in ultrasound and xrays. They did see mild dialation of right kidney and the right side is where the pain is. I noticed in my urine at the hospital some sandlike particles and then I felt relieved. The ER doctor said that I prob. passed the stone. but since then I have been getting more pain attaks and naussa at times. Why am I still haing pain one week later. The pain come randomly some times Tylenol helps and sometimes I need stronger pain killers. Is this normal. Could there be more stones? Why am I not better?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 46 minutes later

Based on your description it appears to me that you have pain due to obstructive uropathy due to an impacted stone in Ureter. Since your Ultrasound scan did not locate the stone it is most likely that you have impacted stone in mid ureter. The stone in this part of the ureter can not be picked up in scanning due to overlapping of bowel loops. Since you do have continuous pain and vomiting you have to get following tests done.

Please get either Intra Venous Pyelography ( I.V.P ) or Contrast C.T Scan for K.U.B (Kidney, Ureter and Bladder) done to confirm or rule out the stone in mid ureter.
Depending on the findings you have to consult a skilled Urologist to decompress the renal unit by endoscopic fragmentation of the stone. (U.R.S.)

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be pleased to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
I just did a ct scan and the Dr told me he found a stone 4.5mm and it is 2mm away from bladder. Baised on this info what am I in store for? How long could it take to pass and what can I do to make it pass? Will the pain get worse? And why did I see sand particles in urine one week ago?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later

Thanks for feedback. You have got stone impacted at UV junction. Now there are two options before you.
1) Wait and watch and let the nature take its own course to pass the stone naturally. But it is very difficult to say when it will pass down.
2) If you are getting repeated episodes of pain associated with vomiting, please consult an Urologist and get it fragmented endoscopicaly. For this you will have to get hospitalized for 2-3 days.

If the pain is tolerable, you can opt for the first option. Antispasmodic medication along with antibiotics will reduce the pain. You can get a prescription for these drugs from your family Physician. Drink plenty of water (6 - 7 litres in 24 hours).

Hope I have answered your queries. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 40 hours later
My pain has subsided and I haven't had the urge to vomit for 24 hrs. My lower back is still a little sore. I noticed about 24 hrs ago particles in my urine some where dark either black or brown and some were white. And I still se particles now. Does this mean my stone has passed? Acc. to Ct san my stone was 4.5 mm so should I be seeing a complete stone or should it be in particles. Is there a chance these particles that im seeing is not the stone and the stone is still in me? Should I refrain from eating anything now I have a normal appetite
Hello
Thanks for feedback Though you are passing some particles in urine it is difficult to make any comment unless you palpate the particles yourself .You can repeat your ultrasound scanning after two weeks to confirm whether stone has passed out or it is still there. You should continue drinking a lot of water and you could eat whatever you like.
Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Is there any reason to refrain from sexual intercourse if I am feeling fine?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for your query.There is no reason for not having sex if you are fine.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.