Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

155 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have red spots on penis. Should I be worried about skin caner?

Answered by
Dr. Kalpana Pathak


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2015 Questions

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I have what seems to be a small redish spot on the tip of my penis. When I looked at it last time a min ago the reddish spot looks moist than any other spot on the skin of my penis. It does not hurt or burn. The skin seems to be peeling white color I can just scraped it off with my finger. It has happen for about a little bit over a week. I'm concern It might be like skin cancer or something. This exact same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago at the same exact spot with the same appearance. went to a doctor screen for std came out negative. Please advise me of this thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: this does not look like cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. From the description provided and images attached, it probably looks like candidal balanoposthitis. It is a fungal infection. This is definitely not cancer Just clean the area with lukewarm water and apply a mild steroid antifungal cream like a mixture of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole can be applied twice in a day. Also take a single dose of fluconazole 150 mg. Hopefully in few days the lesion will resolve. Another possibility could be psoriasis or conract dermatitis due to use of soap, dettol etc Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 minutes later
How come do you think it occur the same spot with the same appearance 1.5 year ago. It went away it remain a little bit pink barely noticable now it strange it comes back to the same spot.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 days later
Brief Answer: Please read a detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Fungal infection and even psoriasis may recur at same place. Other possibilities keeping in mind same place of recurrence could be herpes genitalis or fixed drug eruption. As you have been investigated for STD,herpes is practically ruled out. It is characterised by small fluid filled lesions that may form small erosions. Fixed drug eruption presents as a blister or reddish purple lesion occuring due to drug reaction usually a pain killer or antibiotic. My advise to you is to follow the treatment suggested in previous post. If its fungal infection, it would show response in five to six days. If no response is seen, XXXXXXX your dermatologist. It does not look like cancer. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Herpes

doctor1 MD

My mother is suffering from herpes zoster. We approached Dr. M. Prasad as he was the nearest doctor to our house. He treated my mother with 5 days injection as well as medicine course. But she still has pain in her face on the left side. We would like you to examine her situation as we came to know that herpes can cause blindness and deafness. For that, we would like to see you buy we do not know where your clinic is.

doctor1 MD

my 8 year old son has red blotches on his penis and scrotum.some have popped up in the last couple hours,he is currently taking augmenton for another infection.he has 2 spots on his stomach also.could this be chicken pox or an allergic reaction to the augmenton?

doctor1 MD

My 80 year old father has a chronic skin condition - a rash which flares up every evening.....causing a great deal of pain. Heis being treated for eczma but we think it may be something linked to nervous system. Last week he described the pain over both knees as like being covered in bees. He has had bypass surgery so takes some medication. He is well in himself except for this rash which is causing a lot of distress. He had shingles several years ago so I thought it might be related. We are looking for a diagnosis so he can start to get better. Thankyou

doctor1 MD

My daughter started with a rash on her chest yesterday now it has spread up her chest to her neck on one side she said it is not itchy or sore she did have a bit of a cold last week I was afraid of it being measles it kind of looks like that or I was wondering about shingles I had that 2weeks ago a mild case

doctor1 MD

Is it possible to contract HSV-1 on the genitals from a person who has zero symptoms and hasn't had an active cold sore in years? What does herpes look like?

doctor1 MD

Hi I was dx with shingles at the top of buttcrack when i was 19 it recurred in same spot one year 45 now and have had a few instances with blister lower in crack and it is becoming frequently now .i have blisters on one side right now.I...

doctor1 MD

I live in XXXXXXX but my wife at present is living in Ukraine. She came to the US and we were married on Nov.29, 2012. After she was in the US for a few months, she began to have lots of stress and anxiety . She has been diagnsoised as having a...