Have red spots on penis. Should I be worried about skin caner?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I have what seems to be a small redish spot on the tip of my penis. When I looked at it last time a min ago the reddish spot looks moist than any other spot on the skin of my penis. It does not hurt or burn. The skin seems to be peeling white color I can just scraped it off with my finger. It has happen for about a little bit over a week. I'm concern It might be like skin cancer or something. This exact same thing happen to me about a year and a half ago at the same exact spot with the same appearance. went to a doctor screen for std came out negative. Please advise me of this thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: this does not look like cancer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. From the description provided and images attached, it probably looks like candidal balanoposthitis. It is a fungal infection. This is definitely not cancer Just clean the area with lukewarm water and apply a mild steroid antifungal cream like a mixture of hydrocortisone and clotrimazole can be applied twice in a day. Also take a single dose of fluconazole 150 mg. Hopefully in few days the lesion will resolve. Another possibility could be psoriasis or conract dermatitis due to use of soap, dettol etc Hope this helped. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 minutes later
How come do you think it occur the same spot with the same appearance 1.5 year ago. It went away it remain a little bit pink barely noticable now it strange it comes back to the same spot.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 days later
Brief Answer: Please read a detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Fungal infection and even psoriasis may recur at same place. Other possibilities keeping in mind same place of recurrence could be herpes genitalis or fixed drug eruption. As you have been investigated for STD,herpes is practically ruled out. It is characterised by small fluid filled lesions that may form small erosions. Fixed drug eruption presents as a blister or reddish purple lesion occuring due to drug reaction usually a pain killer or antibiotic. My advise to you is to follow the treatment suggested in previous post. If its fungal infection, it would show response in five to six days. If no response is seen, XXXXXXX your dermatologist. It does not look like cancer. Take care