Have red spot on leg. Any ideas what it could be?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a red spot on my leg about the size of a quarter. It starting to crust up and is has been growing. Its been about a week, it started out the size of a mosquito bite, then turned into the splotch. I am a LPN at a middle school, and I know what ringworm looks like, its usually lighter then what I have. This thing has been growing. I just started fungal spray yesterday on it to see if it is ringworm, but the crusty areas are whats making me nervous. It doesn't itch anymore, but sometimes it burns. Any ideas before I go to a walk in clinic? (the black is a tattoo outline I just started a month ago).
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the pictures attached. The lesion seems to be due to a local skin infection due to a blocked gland. Such infections are usually bacterial and do need local and systemic antibiotics for proper treatment. It does not seem to be a fungal infection like ringworm. You can do a hot fomentation in the area and apply topical antibiotic like neosporin ointment till the time you consult your dermatologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.