Have red itchy spots all over leg. What could it be?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have red itchy circles all over my legs they look like mosquito bites, when they first appear they have a white ring around it, and then it goes away and just remains red and itchy for a few days, i goggled bed bug bites and it looks exactly like a bite, but im sure its not bed bugs, first of all my house is spotless clean, second of all these 'bite' looking spots appear anytime of the day, not only when i am in bed. i had this before pregnancy, then when i got pregnant it went away, and after birth it came back again. perhaps its hives, but when i Google hives it totally doesn't look like that. If its an allergic reaction to food.. what could it be... i try to eat a healthy diet, i try to stay away from gluten and dairy. all the cleaning products i have in my home are natural and organic, without harsh chemicals. it goes on like that for months and months. i gave birth four months ago, and it started one month later, so i have these spots for three months so far...
i don't have any health issues. perfectly healthy, however i do have what i believe is psoriasis on my scalp, but it doesn't bother me much. i have three kids, and all are healthy too. and also these spots are only on my legs.
what could these spots be? if its an allergy... to what am i allergic too?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 20 hours later
Hi there.
I read your problem with interest & empathise with it.
It does appear there may be some sort of hormonal role in addition to some allergy.
I say this as based on your detailed history, the lesions 'stayed away' during the pregnancy & in the post partum period.
I am glad you are perfectly healthy as are your kids; note with interest we dont talk about the spouse ;-)
Allergy is a million dollar question & immunology (albeit there have been giant strides in recent years), is still an enigma to most. Most allergy tests are equivocal & negativity does not necessarily rule out a particular allergen & often multiple allergens are involved in the pathogenesis.
I am of the opinion that this is a 'hypersensitivity' reaction to a particular allergen most likely a hormonal involvement. Of course, to be certain, one has to do an entire hormonal assay of the FSH/LH/Oestrogens/Progesterone/Testosterone levels et al & also a skin biopsy is highly recommended. I suggest for all this, a visit to a competent dermatologist in your vicinity is the order of day.
Do hope have managed to give you some pointers & guidance to make an informed choice. This is probably the best we can do online.
Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD