Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have red and sore gums. Noticed dark patches on other part of gums. What is the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2059 Questions
Hi - I see a small chafing on one of my gums. Its as if skin has peeled in that area. There is no pain but it is red and feels rough to the tongue when I touch it. There are some dark patches on the other parts of the gums. I do not have any dental problems and never had any till now. I brush and floss regularly.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The redness on your gums signifies inflamed gums called gingivitis.

Peeling of skin and roughness are results of gingival recession i.e., pathological migration of gingiva XXXXXXX into the tissue spaces.


1.faulty tooth brushing method

2.plaque accumulation in between your teeth due to improper oral hygiene maintenance.

3.vitamin deficiency.

4.mechanical wearing of teeth.

5.systemic conditions like diabetes,epilepsy if any.


1.get your teeth professionally cleaned by a dentist.

2.root planning and gingival recontouring has to be done.

3.tooth colored restorations can be given for tooth-wearing areas.

4.always brush your teeth twice daily using soft-bristled toothbrush.

5.brush your teeth in up-down and back-forth motion carefully.

6.replace your toothbrush in every 6 months.

7.please avoid the use of tooth-picks, safety-pins in the interdental areas as it can result in tearing of gums.

8.use antimicrobial mouthwash eg, listerine to reduce plaque accumulation.

9.meanwhile, stop the use of dental floss regularly as it can lead into gingival recession.

10.include plenty of vitamin-c containing fruits in your,oranges,lemon to become the gums intact.

For further clarification, direct clinical examination of the condition is necessary.

Please feel free to ask further query.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor