Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have red and puffy face. Am I having any serious problem?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I am 6'5" 260 lbs. I have continual red and puffy face. People routinely worry that I have some kind of health condition. Is there anything serious that could be associated with this?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the red and puffy face may occur due to many causes. But most common causes are Cushing syndrome, dermatomyositis, some food allergies, and kidney disease, SLE), idiopathic and many more conditions.

To come to a definite diagnosis, you have to be examined clinically. It is the main part. After that in case of clinical suspicion, you have to do some tests related with the suspected disease.

In case of kidney disease, you have to do a routine urine examination and blood urea nitrogen and creatinine level. In case of Cushing syndrome, you have to do cortisol level in urine and blood, and dexamethasone suppression test. In case of SLE anti ds DNA should be tested in blood.

If nothing abnormal is found, idiopathic cause should be considered. That means, it may occur as normal in you. But, if you develop any abnormality, you have to seek medical advice.

But, it would be better to get tested for presence of any disease condition. You will get peace of mind. So, consult with a general physician first for a detailed clinical examination.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor