Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have recurring pimple in pubic area. Used topical medications. Applied doxycycline. Suggest treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
I have a reacurring pimple in my pubic area near the area where I pee. I squeezed what seemed to be a tiny pimple down there and now it's been there for around 4 months and won't seem to go away no matter what I do. I've tried topical medications but it always comes back. I pop it a few times a day and a mixture of white along with clear afterwards comes out. I went to a dermatologist a while back for the skin on my face and was prescribed doxycycline. However, I didn't like the side effects so I stopped taking it. I still had some left over and also another refill so in the hopes that it might help this I have been taking it for the last few days. It seems a little better I think, not atzackly sure but it is still there. Just wondering if this medication will help if I continue to take it. It is embarrassing for me and really hard for me to go to a doctor about.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be sebaceous cyst.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting in XXXXXXX

The swelling in your pubic area looks like a sebaceous cyst.Sebaceous cyst occurs in hairy areas.The inner aspect of the hair will form this cyst.It will become infected sometimes leading to pain,fever.

After squeezing the swelling,the contents will come out and it will be reduced temporarily.But,it reappears as the cyst wall that is present inside will produce the contents.

Antibiotic will help if the swelling is infected.It cannot completely reduce this swelling as it is present since 4 months.Once the infection and associated inflammation are subsided(if present),it is better to get it excised by a surgeon.

Please do not feel embarassed.As you are suffering since 4 months,it will be cleared in a day once the correct diagnosis is established by a surgeon.

Hope i answered your query.

If you have any questions,i will clarify further

Wish you good health and speedy recovery


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have recurring pimple in pubic area. Used topical medications. Applied doxycycline. Suggest treatment? 8 hours later
Thanks for the info. Just wondering what kind of a doctor would be best for this and would a gynecologist be able to treat this? I know of a female gynecologist, an excellent doctor. I have been to her once before and would feel much more comfortable going there.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
General surgeon is better

Detailed Answer:

I prefer you to go to a General surgeon.
We see this type of cases regularly.

But,you can see your gynaecologist as you are very comfortable with her and get an opinion.
If she is not sure,then you have to go to a General surgeon. Alternatively you can search for a female general surgeon in your area.

Hope i answered your query

Wish you good health


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor