Have recurring light brown spots on stomach. What could be these?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: Hi, i have some light brown spots/patches in in different sizes on my stomach. I noticed this about two years ago when getting out of the shower and standing in front of the mirror. But they went away after about an hour. now i permanently have these spots/patches. should i get this looked at?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are suffering from can be p.versicolor,tinea corporis,post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Also I would like to know-
Do you have itching/pain/symptoms on patches?
Are the margins well defined?
Are the patches growing or static?
Are you on any medications?
Also can you upload photos of the affected area. Close up photos would help a lot.

Answer the questions and upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.

Awaiting your response.

Dr XXXXXXX
MD dermatologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Please find attached the requested photos.

Also, i have answered your questions below:

Do you have itching/pain/symptoms on patches? No

Are the margins well defined? I am not sure, please refer to pictures

Are the patches growing or static? No, i dont believe so

Are you on any medications? Yes, i take Isoptin 240mg per day for cluster headaches, and Perindopril Sandoz 4mg per day for Kidney Disease

I look forward to your response.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for details.
The patches appear to be Pityriasis versicolor.
It is a common superficial fungal infection.
Using a clotrimazole 1% cream for 15 days should cure it.
Using a selenium sulfide shampoo will prevent recurrence and will treat the cause.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.