Have recurring bouts of prostatitis. PSA normal. Looking for advice

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Visit to urologist...bep with recurring bouts of prostititus...did psa...said it was in normal range....my PSAs for past years were      
12/14/12     2.8
9/1/11     0.9
4/6/10     1.8
5/18/09     2.0
8/8/08     2.5
6/28/04     0.8
Is there any further advice you would give?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 36 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.
Since the PSA is normal, there should be no worry at present regarding cancer.
The treatment depends on your symptoms and uroflow test.
If you are symptomatic and flow is less, then treatment is needed. Otherwise, you may be followed up and treatment initiated if any new symptoms arise or if the uroflow suggests so.
Hope this helps. Kindly do not hesitate to write back for doubts.
Best regards
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later
Flow was good according to my urologist...but should I have concern when psa went up from .9 to 2.8 in 12 months?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later
Hi
Welcome back.
Yes, the rise may be significant, but it can go up in prostatitis as well.
So, it is worthwhile recheck in three months’ time.
Best regards
Dr GS