Have rashes on back and face. What could it be?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my sister has bad rash on her face back and midrift area. its been driving her crazy.she has been to the Doc had a blood test no results.Rubbed on various creams with no luck. Can you help? The rash have little heads on.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Steroid induced acne or melasma are possibilities Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. It may be a side effect of steroids.. As your sister used the Symeicort inhaler for a long time, she might be likely to develop dark colored pimple like lesions over face, upper back and upper chest area. Betnovate cream would be likely to exaggerate the problem. Another possibility is a melasma (dark pigmentation) over face due sun exposure. Frequent exposure to certain drugs and applications of balms or certain food materials even makes the skin more susceptible for Ultra Violet rays present in sunlight and leads to Melasma. Try to identify these agents and avoid the same. Specific treatment for these conditions advised by a Dermatologist and subsequent protection will clear your sister's problem. Dr S XXXXXXX