Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Have rash in arm pit and chest. Remedy?

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
I have rash in 1 arm pit and u shaped rash on chest what could it be
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide details regarding the condition

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using healthcare Magic.

I have gone through the picture of rash sent by you. After thorough evaluation it appears to be eczematization and secondary infection on underlying dermatitis process of the skin. As I can see it is quite excoriated so you might have scratched it too much due to feeling of itching. To tell you simply basically it is scaling, exudation and infection over the preexisting skin condition.

It is too early to reach at a pin point diagnosis. For the same kindly tell me some important facts related to the condition:
1. Since how long the condition is present.
2. Any pre-existing over skin before this condition.
3. Are the two (rash over chest and arm pit) appeared simultaneously.
4. Degree of itching- mild/moderate/ severe.
5. Aggravation by sunlight or sweating or heat and humidity or any other aggravating factor you felt.

It would be better if you can upload a close picture of your arm pit area too. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Now for immediate treatment :

- Keep your self away from hot and humid and direct XXXXXXX climate.

- Do cold compression or warm water compresses for 3-4 times according to the weather condition. Take a towel soaked in water and give compresses for 5 minutes each. This will take away the superficial crust which is potential source of secondary infection.

- Take two times bath. Gently wash the area with plane water and soap for two to three times a day.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

-Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

- You can apply cream containing Fluticasone and mupirocin in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. It can be applied for two times a day. If it is not available then you can apply any over the counter medicine containing mild steroid with antibiotic in it. Even if it is not available then you can apply hydrocortisone also.

-You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine or benadryl two to three times a day under medial advise if moderate to severe itching is present.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have rash in arm pit and chest. Remedy? 27 minutes later
I have a hypersensitivity to cold. the rash started as a small circle on my neck and then progressed to my chest after I had gotten some sunburn. It is severely itchy and burns I had gone to er they said I had a fungal infection the medication they suggested only made it worse. The itching seems to get worse when wind blows on it or I start sweating a lot. I have had it now for about 3 weeks. the rash in my armpit just showed up about 3 days ago but I think it is from ingrown hairs from shaving(not sure). Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated!
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry you will imporve in 48 hours

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your prompt reply.

As I predicted it is superimposed condition on the chest which is basically dermatitis due to sunlight and aggravated by sweating and severe itching and scratching by yourself.

Do not worry it will be alright in next few days. All the precautions and suggestions are as previously.

Now the important thing is if you can get a cream containing "clobetasol with gentamycin" or neomycin or mupirocin. It should be applied for two times for next 5-7days. If you are not getting that then the previous written creams can also be applied.

In your situation an oral steroid like prednisolone is also required in the dose of 20 mg in the morning after breakfast for 5 days only.

I have gone through the picture of arm pit too. It is simple intertrigo (infection and inflammation of skin fold due to sweating and heat). For this too the above treatment will completely help you.

If you do not get the medicines directly then it will be better to ask your treating doctor to see in direction of dermatitis due to sun sensitivity and treat it accordingly.

Any how till that time if you follow the advices of previous mail then also the things will be more than 75% better in next 48 hours.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor