Have rapid heart rate while sleeping. What needs to be done?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I HAVE A RAPID HEART RATE ONLY WHILE SLEEPING. IT WAKES ME UP. CAN YOU HELP
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: History suggestive of cardiovascular disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Rapid heart beat while sleeping is called orthopnoea. This is caused by cardiovascular disease. On lying down the stress on heart is increased. This stress is due to increased blood volume of blood while lying down. A healthy heart is able to cope up with the increasing stress but a diseased heart is not able to cope up. This leads to difficulty in breathing due to decreased blood supply to body organs and lungs. You need to consult a cardiologist for clinical examination, investigations- ECG, echocardiography, TMT, holter to know the cause of cardiovascular dysfunction. If you have more queries i will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D