Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have raised lumps on penis. What it could be?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Have several spots/lumps on penis not sure what it could be
Raised, with flat top and tiny lumps on top of that. Been there for about 6 months, and 3 small round ones showed up recently just above that
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting.
I have looked through the pictures those lesions are most likely genital warts or Condylomata acuminata. Genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection (STI). The virus that causes genital warts is called human papilloma virus (HPV). More than 70 different types of HPV exist. They are usually more XXXXXXX in women causing precancerous lesions. HPV infection around the genitals is common. HPV infection spreads from one person to another through sexual contact involving the anus, mouth, or vagina. You can spread the warts even if you do not see them.You may not see warts for 6 weeks to 6 months after becoming infected. You may not notice them for years. But you are case you are manifesting the warts.

Your lesion may also be due to syphilis (which is also an STI).
To confirm this you will need to visit a doctor who can confirm this by doing a physical exams (for men confirmation is clinical). Your doctor will also need to run a series of tests to rule out other STIs such as syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV and others (that the your doctor will deem necessary).
Treatment is done by doctor (over-the-counter medication is not recommended). Take treatment from doctor. Medications that may be prescribed are Imiquimod (Aldara), Podophyllin and podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) etc
The warts may be removed with surgery, including:
- Cryosurgery
- Electrocauterization
- Laser therapy

All of your sexual partner(s) are required to be examined by a health care provider and adequate treatment given. (if you can not still get a hold of any of them, then you have to do with your own treatment).
Always use protections like condom to avoid STIs.

Hope this helps and write back if you have follow-up questions
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have raised lumps on penis. What it could be? 4 hours later
Ok Im going to make an appointment with a DR.
Is there any chance it could be molluscum? I wasnt sexually active for probably eight months prior to first noticing the bump
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Yes as a differential diagnosis molluscum contagiosum it is possible. STI can occur lots of months after infection especially infections such as the HPV (that i just suspected you are having) or syphilis. Both can exist without manifestation for a good length of time.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have raised lumps on penis. What it could be? 7 hours later
Could it be contracted from recieving oral sex?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 minutes later

Yes you can contact genital wart or even molluscum contagiosum through the mouth if a person who has infection in the lips or mouth, it can be transmitted to you. Even though they are in rare situations but they are possible.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor