Have raised lump on stomach, inner thighs and genital area. Not cured by antibiotic. What is this?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I am 29 years old and I have raised bumps ALL OVER my stomach, inner thighs, around my genital area, and armpits that turn black and leaves a XXXXXXX I went to the dermatologist and he told me that I had Impetigo. I used the antibiotic cream for 2 weeks and it's gotten worse. I don't think that's what it is. It's not terribly itchy or anything, just mainly unsightly!
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

If possible please do attach an image of the lesions here. I would like have a look at the lesions you have to understand the condition better and opine specifically...

Also do provide information on your condition like

Since how many days do you have the lesions?
Where did the lesions start initially?
Do you see any discharge oozing from the lesions?
Kindly mention the name of the antibiotic cream you applied?

Waiting for your response,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later
It's been about 14 days since I noticed the first one appear. I noticed the first one on the back of my neck, but the majority of them are on my left inner thigh. No discharge; they flare up in a reddish color then they turn black in the middle after it's gone down. The sores can flare 10 minutes to an entire day before the swelling goes down. I used Bactroban, which didn't work. However, I used my friend's steroid cream for her psoriasis and that seemed to help the swelling/unsightliness. There is not an option to attach the photo. Hopefully I've given you enough information to help!

Thanks,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Please do send the image to the below Id

YYYY@YYYY

To My (Dr Raju) attention.

I would consider It very useful to have a look at the lesions to arrive at most probable diagnosis and help you well.

Waiting for your response,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

I just sent it under the subject XXXXXXX Inquiry--ATTN Dr. Ragu.

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for the image.

Image shows a lesion which is an usual aftermath seen in Impetigo. Most of the pigmented spots gradually fade and disappear. Rarely a few may remain as a permanent spot. One can try depigmentation cream such as 2% hydroquinone cream to fasten the lightening process. In addition, using a good moisturizer like cetaphil and sunscreen (HPF above 35) on the exposed areas has beneficial effects.

I agree with your dermatologist, that impetigo lesions have left these spots behind. But since bactroban did not help on active lesions, I suggest you to apply NEOSPORIN-H ointment instead on the active lesions. Neosporin-H is a formula containing both antibacterial and steroid and will be useful in preventing such hyperpigmented spots.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion

Wish you good health...