Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Have radicular neck pain. Taken epidural injections. MRI showed mild canal stenosis from broad posterior disc. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
I have radicular neck pain. How long should I wait before deciding that I should get surgery. I have no arm weakness. I have had pain for about 5 weeks. Epidural injections help temporarily....3-4 days with limited pain. Can tolerate the pain, but very limited about activity. Can't even swim. It is a C5 radiculopathy, pain into scapula and deltoid muscles.

MRI: mild canal stenosis from broad posterior disc osteophyte complex as well as moderate-severe foraminal narrowing. Moderate facet hypertrophy.

Also have noticed some very mild balance issues over the past year after a fall of a ladder. (Ended up with an Achilles tendon rupture and repair and thought balance may be related to that ankle injury....but could it be related to the canal stenosis?

Questions: operation necessary? what type of operation? Just opening the foramen or larger operation?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 2 hours later
thanks for writing to us.
You have very valid questions.
When we are talking about cervical disc prolapse main concerns are nerve root pressure due to foraminal narrowing and central cord compression. Nerve root pressure cause radiating arm pain and may be tingling numbness in the nerve distribution ( in your case C5 nerve). In case of cord pressure you tend to get myelopathy which can cause imbalance while walking, tingling in both hands, feeling of tightness in extremities and changes in urinary frequency and control on urination.
Coming to treatment option, we need to correlate the clinical findings with MRI findings. How severe is the pressure? Most important deciding factor is how much disability it has caused to you? if you are in pain and can not do your routine activities after adequate trial of medicine and physio for 4-6 weeks then you may need to consider surgical option.
About surgery, in your case you may need discectomy with fusion at the symptomatic level. In case of multilevel problems with cord pressure we may consider posterior laminectomy. These options depend upon the MRI findings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor