Have pus filled lump on legs. Could it be ringworm infection?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi. My son has about 12 spots on his legs. They look like mosquito bites but i'm not convinced. They are about 1cm in diameter. They are all oozing clear yellow liquid and each has a scab in the middle. The rest of our family and cats have ringworm. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I have seen the photograph attached. The lesion is not due to a mosquito bite.
It is more likely to be due to a ringworm infection.
This condition can be treated easily but has chances of recurrence.
Here are some tips to help cure this condition:
1. Keep the skin clean and dry.
2. Use a antifungal Cream containing - Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole, Terbenifine, or Oxiconazole. These are often effective in controlling ringworm.
3. Wash and dry the area first.
4. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving toward the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterward.
5. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.
6. Do not use a bandage over ringworm.

To prevent the infection from spreading:
1. Wash all towels in warm, soapy water and then dry them.
2. Use a new towel and wash cloth every time.
3. Clean sinks, bathtubs, and bathroom floors well after using.
4. Wear clean clothes every day and do not share clothes

This condition usually responds to topical medications mentioned above within 4 weeks. Severe or resistant cases usually respond quickly to antifungal medicines taken orally, which may need a doctor's prescription.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.