Have pus filled bump behind ear. What should I do to cure it?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a large bump behind my ear and when squeezed something thick and white comes out of them, it has a bad smell. They continue to fill back up. I have one now I can't pop and I think it's very infected! Very large! What do I do.?????
Answered by Dr. Kruti 57 minutes later
Hello

I can understand your concern.

This seems to be a sebaceous cyst.

For the infection you will need a prescription for a course of oral antibiotics like erythromycin.

The sebaceous cyst will need to be excised by your dermatologist.

I would recommend that you visit a competent dermatologist who can help you with the same.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 6 minutes later
Two people told me to sterilize a pin and drain myself! Should I do that. No doctors are in now! Should I go to hostipal ER ? It's very large and hurts.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

Yes you need to go to the ER. Please don't drain it yourself. It should not lead to further pain and infection.