Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have pus filled boils. What should I do for cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15003 Questions
I have a boil that will not completely go away. It drains with a very bad smell and then about a week later it returns. What should I do? It's on my bikini line.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Boils start off as infection of the hair follicles that spread to involve surrounding structures.
Normally they respond to home treatment which is the application of heat to encourage drainage as well a antiseptic cleaning.
In some cases however, pockets of pus remain after drainage has occurred and these pockets would then encourage future boil formation.

In that instance , you may need to consult your doctor. He or she would incise the area, breaking down any remaining pockets of pus that are remaining, a swab to determine the exact bacteria involve may be taken and you may be given a course of oral antibiotics to complete to reduce the chances of recurrence further.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have pus filled boils. What should I do for cure? 12 hours later
I don't have health insurance what kind of doctor should I see and how much do you think it will cost?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
A general practitioner or family doctor will be able to treat you if this is the most cost effective avenue. This can cost up to $150.00.
In some places, there are free clinics available.
I believe, speaking under correction, that you can go to your local medicaid office to see if you qualify for reduced or lower cost care

I hope this helps

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor