Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have purple bruise-like patch on knee with white spot in the middle. Cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 2972 Questions
I have a purple bruise-like patch on my knee that doesn't go away. It does not come from a mole but there is a small crusted over white spot in the middle
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
You probably have ecchymotic patch with mole and crusted lesion on the knee.
This much description is less to come to conclusion.
Therefore, I would like to ask few questions.
Do you have itching, burning or pain in lesion?
Do you have Fever,body ache or joint pain?
Duration of the disease?
Past history of same or other disease?
Family history of disease?
Any habit of alcohol or smoking?
Did contact any doctor?
Did you take or apply any medicine?
Any blood test?
Please answer above questions.
I would like to have close up photograph of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have purple bruise-like patch on knee with white spot in the middle. Cure? 1 hour later
No itching or burning or joint pain no fever or past history, no family history, no smoking or alcohol. No doctor or blood test. I take Wellbutrin, but this started before I started taking that,
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later
Welcome back.
I have seen your photograph.
It seems that you are having localised vascultis.
Vasculitis is inflammation of blood vessels in the skin which leads to erythema,purpura and necrotic ulcer. There are many causes. Infection,drugs,connective tissue diseases,trauma, insect bite,neoplasia..etc

In your case, vasculitis may be due to infection or insect bite.

You take short course of antibiotics along with steroid in tapering dose.
..Additionally, for localized or limited disease, antihistamines, colchicine, or dapsone along with supportive care as well may be useful.

You do leg elevation and compression of lesions may also be helpful.

You may apply antibiotic cream locally.

All this you should do under observation of dermatologist.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer.

Still, if you have query, you may ask me. Otherwise, please close the discussion..thanks

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor