Have purple bruise-like patch on knee with white spot in the middle. Cure?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: I have a purple bruise-like patch on my knee that doesn't go away. It does not come from a mole but there is a small crusted over white spot in the middle
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 2 hours later
You probably have ecchymotic patch with mole and crusted lesion on the knee.
This much description is less to come to conclusion.
Therefore, I would like to ask few questions.
Do you have itching, burning or pain in lesion?
Do you have Fever,body ache or joint pain?
Duration of the disease?
Past history of same or other disease?
Family history of disease?
Any habit of alcohol or smoking?
Did contact any doctor?
Did you take or apply any medicine?
Any blood test?
Please answer above questions.
I would like to have close up photograph of the lesion. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Thanks..

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
No itching or burning or joint pain no fever or past history, no family history, no smoking or alcohol. No doctor or blood test. I take Wellbutrin, but this started before I started taking that,
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 5 hours later
Welcome back.
I have seen your photograph.
It seems that you are having localised vascultis.
Vasculitis is inflammation of blood vessels in the skin which leads to erythema,purpura and necrotic ulcer. There are many causes. Infection,drugs,connective tissue diseases,trauma, insect bite,neoplasia..etc

In your case, vasculitis may be due to infection or insect bite.

You take short course of antibiotics along with steroid in tapering dose.
..Additionally, for localized or limited disease, antihistamines, colchicine, or dapsone along with supportive care as well may be useful.

You do leg elevation and compression of lesions may also be helpful.

You may apply antibiotic cream locally.

All this you should do under observation of dermatologist.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer.

Still, if you have query, you may ask me. Otherwise, please close the discussion..thanks

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD