Have puffy eyes, abdominal pain with nausea and blood in urine. What am I suffering from?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have trace blood in urine and random protien (1-9)is standard mine was 20. Puffy eyes very tired. Abdominal and some flank pain. Nausea Wondering what it might me
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

You have symptoms like Puffy eyes, pain in abdomen and flank, with nausea. Your routine Urine examination revealed trace of blood and protein. It will be better if you provide following information that will help me to suggest to your problem.

1) Are you Diabetic?
2) Do you have High Blood Pressure?
3) Do you get UTI frequently?
4) Are you taking any medications for other illness since a long time.?.
5) Have you done your renal function tests? (Blood urea and Serum Creatinine)?
6) Have you done Ultrasound scanning of Abdomen?

From the facts that you have forwarded it appears that you have Renal Parenchymal disease. Kindly revert. I shall be happy to address your queries.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Not diabetic. I was told only pre diabetic. Blood pressure has Been ok. I have had uti in the past frequent, but in the last several years only a couple. Medicine: thyroid and Benadryl. Sometimes Tylenol/ibuprofen No renal function tests or recent ultrasounds. Urine test was just done at the end of last week.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

You had frequent attacks of Urinary tract infection (UTI). It will be advisable to get Ultrasound scanning done as it will reveal the Parenchymal thickness of the Kidneys that determines the renal function and whether there is scarring of the the parenchyma suggesting extent of the damage of the kidneys. Get your renal function test done at earliest (Serum Creatinine and Blood Urea). These are the important parameters of the Kidney function and the result of the test are available within few hours. Please feel free to write me again after getting the results of these tests.

With Regards.

Dr.Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan