Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have pterygium nail. What cure and medication should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Rodrigues


Practicing since :1993

Answered : 1196 Questions

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Pterygium Nail ! I have a nail condition ,both thumb nails splitting bad ,what cure or medication can solve the problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
Do you have any other skin condition eg lichen planus associated with this pterygium? If not & if it is only the pterygium bothering you , then it is to be removed or treated purely for cosmetic reasons.
It is a very difficult condition to treat as it involves destruction of the nail bed in most instances & the ensuing nail growth is not normally satisfactory to be honest.
However, for best results, i recommend total avulsion of the nail under a local anaesthesia & then an intralesional steroid injection into the area again under a ring or digital block. This can be done by your local dermatologist or dermatosurgeon depending on competency levels or by a surgeon (general).
Cheers & Good luck. Please do close this query if my answer has hit the 'nail on the bottom' & feel free to give us a healthy rating :) Good luck with the nail!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Lichenoid eruptions

doctor1 MD

I was recently diagnosed with lichen sclerosis. I find it difficult to see where to apply the strong cortisone cream I have been prescribed due to my pubic hair. Given that this condition may require treatment for the rest of my life, I am considering having all of my pubic hair lasered away permanently. Do you think this would impact negatively on this condition, to have laser on the skin where I have the lichen sclerosis, as well as everywhere else?

doctor1 MD

Age 29, Height 185 cms, weight 86 kgs, no medical history. Current problem, Lichen planus pigmentation in penis head. Problem of lichen planus is no longer there, but the pigmentation are an emotional stress. Current medication, hydroquinone. Previously applied corticosteriods, but were later on withdrawn as the problem solved. Pigmentations not going though after 12 months. What can be done?

doctor1 MD

I have lichen planus and have had this for a few years now, it came and went and has come back stronger. This time it has effected y scalp really badly and caused alapecia, despite hours spent on the net looking for treatments of hair loss, it all basically says the same: lichen planus in the scalp causes permanent hair loss and no suggestions for treatments. I am really desperate now and would like a suggestion for a possible treatment please

doctor1 MD

I am 69 years of age and 5 ft high with thyroid underactive and high blood pressure. I have been dignosed Lichen Sclerosus and is given twice a day dermovat and dermol to apply. since 17th of may 2011. I am now getting a slight discharge from my anus.
and the white area has spread on my outer vagina. can you advice what must I do

doctor1 MD

Its not related to shingales. Now they have gone to bumps on her legs. When u feel them there like samdpaper. Its like another layer of skin on top.Here r a couple more on here neck & its sloly going alover her body

doctor1 MD

I Have had a red triangular spot on the shaft of my penis just below the head for several months. It does not itch or burn and has never had any discharge. It only gets red after sex. My sexual encounters have only been with my wife of 16 years...

doctor1 MD

I had similar bump on my foreskin earlier, answered by Dr. XXXXXXX Kanodia. no itching right now. about 3 days old, has grown in height.