Have pterygium nail. What cure and medication should be done?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Pterygium Nail ! I have a nail condition ,both thumb nails splitting bad ,what cure or medication can solve the problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
Do you have any other skin condition eg lichen planus associated with this pterygium? If not & if it is only the pterygium bothering you , then it is to be removed or treated purely for cosmetic reasons.
It is a very difficult condition to treat as it involves destruction of the nail bed in most instances & the ensuing nail growth is not normally satisfactory to be honest.
However, for best results, i recommend total avulsion of the nail under a local anaesthesia & then an intralesional steroid injection into the area again under a ring or digital block. This can be done by your local dermatologist or dermatosurgeon depending on competency levels or by a surgeon (general).
Cheers & Good luck. Please do close this query if my answer has hit the 'nail on the bottom' & feel free to give us a healthy rating :) Good luck with the nail!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD