Have psoriatic arthritis and hypothyroidism. Noticed painless hard lump on clavicle. What it could be?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, Ive noticed a hard lump, on the left side, immobile, appears to be attached to mt sternum just under my clavicle. Its about 2 cm round and smooth. Its painless, and has been slowly enlarging for about a year, at first I thought I was just being nerotic but now I can actually see it. Im otherwise fit & well, but have psoriatic arthritis and hypothyroidism
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Common possibilities which can present as slow growing non-painful lump in this region are enlarged lymph node,lipoma,fibroma,neuroma and bony outgrowth etc. Since it is slow growing and not painful possibility of cancer seems less likely.

To know exactly what it is, you need to get a sonography and if needed a scan done.Sometimes further investigation with a biopsy might be needed.

So, I would recommend you to get this investigated. Treatment can be planned depending on the results of investigations.

Seeing a general surgeon would be ideal next step.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards.