Have prominent veins on hand. Had dehydration and attitude sickness. Normal?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My daughter who is 7 has very prominent veins in inner her left arm - from the area opposite her elbow to her wrist. They've been noticeable for years and I've asked periodically about them but doctors have said it's just how she is. Anyhow, now that she's 7, and a big girl, she's become quite conscious of them and I've become more conscious as a result. She also has a birth XXXXXXX on the same arm and had an IV in the same arm when she was 1.5 years due to altitude sickness and dehydration....at the time they had to poke around quite a bit to find her vein. With that said, her right arm is perfectly normal looking.

I'm doing some investigative work because we live out of the US and I feel that this gets overlooked during regular pediatrician visits. Anything to be concerned about? Would be grateful to get some advise.

Thanks so much, XXXXXXX S
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
The pathological cause of prominent veins is obstruction to flow of blood-blood flows in them from hand and arm towards the heart has been excluded by doctors. I hope you are not saying the iv drip she received some five years ago is responsible for it? It can not be unless it led to thrombus formation which it did not form. So, I would go with the your doctor's advice.
However if you are taking it with more sensitivity, I can ask my colleague in plastic surgery if anything can be done. Please send a jpeg image of colored photo of the of the arm to YYYY@YYYY . I will tell the whole situation and take plastic surgeons opinion for you. Good luck.
I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW