Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have prolonged cough. Test showed raised eosenophyil count. Any advice to get cure?

Answered by
Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 584 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi doctor,

I have prolonged cough, i approached doctor and doctor asked me to take AEC test, In the Test report, Doctor found that Eosenophyil count is more then the normal count, doctor told me it is allergic problem and he provided some tablets like montec L.c 30 mg,

If i take montec l.c thn it is good for 1 or 2 days, if stop the tablet then Cough is continuing, i am suffering very high,

Please kindly advise me how can i recover completely from these allergic ? or how can i reduce the Eosenophyila ?

What thing else i have to do ?

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your problems are consistent with house dust mite allergy.
I would suggest you either blood tests or skin prick tests against the complete aero-allergen panel to find out the extent of allergies.
House dust mite allergy starts with runny nose, sneezing, coughing that leads onto airway problems such as asthma.

Montek LC is a weak antihistamine plus leukotriene antagonist and will work in combination with a stronger antihistamine like allegra 180mg once daily in the morning. You will also need a steroid nasal spray like Flixonase 2 sprays per nostril twice daily for 3 months along with the tablets for good effect. Nasal steroid sprays take 1 month to start to work in full effect, so stopping after 2 weeks will provide no benefit.
20% of people fail optimal medical therapy, and will need immunotherapy (injection or tablet form) for 3-5 years.
I would suggest trying the optimal medical therapy first before immunotherapy.

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Immunotherapy

doctor1 MD

I want to know what is the meaning of Total IgE is 2.68 kIU/L. Is everything is fine or do i need to go for more test. I am also planning for gluten free diet but not sure if it will help or not. please suggest if i need to go for some other...

doctor1 MD

what are the treatment options for rhinitis ? are there any prevention measures for this ? He has been having this condition for past 10 years, is there any permanent cure ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor Rommstein, I will start chemo tomorrow on two drugs.Encornfenib (BRAF inhibitor) and Cetuximab but not Binimetinib the MEK inhibitor.The oncologist says what I am receiving is proven and the MEK inhibitor was added in one of the trials...

doctor1 MD

My 8 yr.Old daughter was suffering from sinus congestion so I gave her Benadryl-d, but I didn t think she is also taking immunotherapy every week 0.25ml every week now she has a rash all over her body including her face please help !!!!!! What have I done??

doctor1 MD

respected sirs, my son is suffering with allergic rhinitis with chronic cough for the last one and a half years. he couldn't go to school. now i am giving him immunotherapy. sir kindly advice me whether immunotherapy will help to cure this completely, expecting your valuable suggestion and advice,
narayanan namboothiry

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you tell me more about the ketogenic diet. I have a friend battling a 6 year Glioblastoma tumor. She is currently up at the Dana Farber Institute going through a clinical trial and just got accepted into a 2nd trial..called Immunotherapy. I am a certified Health Coach who teaches individuals about a plant based diet. I am not vegan, but believe in the power of plants and disease prevention. My health mentor thinks that my friend should look more into the ketogenic diet b/c of the success rates with it and brain tumors. Any advice? I am in charge of organizing all of the food being brought to her and her family. I had a plan, but not feel like I need to re-think what I am having her friends and volunteers make. Thanks in advance for your input. Caroline :)