Have prolonged cough. Test showed raised eosenophyil count. Any advice to get cure?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi doctor,

I have prolonged cough, i approached doctor and doctor asked me to take AEC test, In the Test report, Doctor found that Eosenophyil count is more then the normal count, doctor told me it is allergic problem and he provided some tablets like montec L.c 30 mg,

If i take montec l.c thn it is good for 1 or 2 days, if stop the tablet then Cough is continuing, i am suffering very high,

Please kindly advise me how can i recover completely from these allergic ? or how can i reduce the Eosenophyila ?

What thing else i have to do ?

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Your problems are consistent with house dust mite allergy.
I would suggest you either blood tests or skin prick tests against the complete aero-allergen panel to find out the extent of allergies.
House dust mite allergy starts with runny nose, sneezing, coughing that leads onto airway problems such as asthma.

Montek LC is a weak antihistamine plus leukotriene antagonist and will work in combination with a stronger antihistamine like allegra 180mg once daily in the morning. You will also need a steroid nasal spray like Flixonase 2 sprays per nostril twice daily for 3 months along with the tablets for good effect. Nasal steroid sprays take 1 month to start to work in full effect, so stopping after 2 weeks will provide no benefit.
20% of people fail optimal medical therapy, and will need immunotherapy (injection or tablet form) for 3-5 years.
I would suggest trying the optimal medical therapy first before immunotherapy.

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes.