Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have problem post foley for due to urinary retention. Suggest OTC medication to stimulate bladder to increase urine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
Is there OTC medication to stimulate bladder to increase urine flow? Have problem post foley for 29 days due to urinary retention. Dont want foley again, help.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can try natural remedies

Detailed Answer:

You should drink plenty of liquids. Cranberry juice induces stimulation.
Warm packs should be kept on the lower abdomen to stimulate the bladder.
You can go to bathroom and turn the water tap. The running water can stimulate bladder to sends signals to brain which inturn stimulates bladder for emptying.

If there is no response in spite of above measures, I prescribe Terazosin to my patients with similar complaints. Though it is used in benign ptostatic enlargement,it stimulates the bladder muscle for emptying. Terazosin is not available as OTC in most countries. If the above measures do not help you, you should ask about this drug.

As you were on foley's catheter for 29 days, it will take some time for complete normal function of bladder.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor